Program Number: 31-536-1
School Year: 2016-2017
Technical Diploma (1 year)
Campus: Fond du Lac, shared with Lakeshore Technical College
If you're ill or injured, you have access to an enormous variety of therapeutic medications, and you trust your pharmacy to correctly interpret and fill your prescriptions. Pharmacy technicians contribute to our safety by assisting pharmacists in a variety of technical tasks. If you're attentive to detail; organized; a good communicator; and like math, science, and working with people, a career as a pharmacy technician may be your prescription for success. The Pharmacy Technician program conducted by Lakeshore Technical College, Cleveland, WI is accredited by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists.
Special Note: LTC offers its Pharmacy Technician program in cooperation with technical colleges across the state. As a pharmacy technician student, you'll attend live, interactive TV classes sent from LTC to your local technical college; receive laboratory training in local pharmacies; participate in real-world, hands-on training during a 4-week clinical program; and take general studies classes at your local technical college.
Statewide Median Salary for Recent Graduates
- $130.35 per credit (resident)
- $195.53 per credit (out-of-state resident)
- Online students are not charged out-of-state fees.
- Package and label drugs for prescription dispensing.
- Prepare and deliver unit dose to the nursing services of hospitals or nursing homes.
- Prepare parenteral admixtures under aseptic and sterile conditions.
- Receive and inventory drug shipments.
- Maintain records, including patient profiles.
- Facilitate communications for third-party reimbursement.
- Compound solutions, ointments, lotions, suppositories and other medications.
- Comprehend and utilize medical and drug terminology common to the pharmaceutical environment.
- Practice ethical standards and recognize legal implications of your actions as they relate to yourself, the pharmacist and the pharmacy.
- Home IV Specialist
- Pharmacy Technician employed at Community Pharmacy
- Pharmacy Technician employed at Hospital Pharmacy
- Pharmacy Technician employed at Nursing Home Pharmacy
The admission process for a shared program should be completed at the host college granting the degree. Please submit the following to Lakeshore Technical College:
- College admission application
- $30 one-time fee
- High school and other official college transcripts
- College assessment test (ACCUPLACER, ACT or other). Note: The ACCUPLACER assessment can be taken at MPTC.
- Meet with a representative at the host college to review course sequencing.
- Check with the host college if any additional steps are required.
|501-102||*Health Insurance and Reimbursement||3|
|536-113||**Pharmacy Business Applications||3|
|536-120||**Fundamentals of Reading Prescriptions||1|
|536-125||**Pharmacy Drug Distribution Systems||2|
|536-126||**Pharmacy Parenteral Admixtures||3|
|536-139||***Pharmacy Community Clinical||3|
|536-141||*Pharmacy Computer Lab||2|
|536-143||***Pharmacy Hospital Clinical||2|
|801-196||Oral and Interpersonal Communication||3|
|- OR -|
|809-198||Introduction to Psychology||3|
|- OR -|
|809-199||Psychology of Human Relations||3|
|Total Program Credits and Institutional Requirements||36|
Check out the Credit Transfers page for more information.
*Enrollment may limit the campus availability or delivery of certain courses.
Courses with no asterisks are offered at Moraine Park.
*Courses are available only at Lakeshore Technical College.
**Courses are offered at Lakeshore Technical College or IVC (Interactive Video Conferencing) at Moraine Park.
***Courses are at a clinical site.
For co-curricular activities and opportunities related to this program/certificate, click here.