Program Number: 10-543-1
School Year: 2016-2017
Associate of Applied Science Degree
Campus: Beaver Dam, Fond du Lac, West Bend
Full-Time Enrollment Only
The Nursing - Associate Degree With a Practical Nursing Exit Point program prepares graduates for careers as nurses (LPN and/or RN) in ambulatory care settings, acute care settings and long-term care organizations, as defined by the Wisconsin Nurse Practice Act. After successfully completing the first two semesters of the program, students are eligible to write the Practical Nursing National Council Licensure Examination. At this point, students could job out and seek employment as LPNs or continue on in the remaining two semesters and prepare to write the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses. Petition selection is in spring and fall.
Students receive classroom instruction, laboratory practice and clinical nursing experiences.
The program is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing, Inc. (ACEN), 3343 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 850, Atlanta, GA 30326 (phone 1-404-975-5000) and the Wisconsin Board of Nursing (phone 1-608-267-2357).
Helpful high school courses include chemistry, biology, mathematics, reading, writing and oral communication.
Statewide Median Salary for Recent Graduates
- $130.35 per credit (resident)
- $195.53 per credit (out-of-state resident)
- Online students are not charged out-of-state fees.
- Additional fees may apply and are the responsibility of the student.
- Implement one's role as a nurse in ways that reflect integrity, responsibility, ethical practices, and an evolving professional identity as a nurse committed to evidence-based practice, caring advocacy and quality care.
- Demonstrate appropriate written, verbal, and nonverbal communication in a variety of clinical contexts.
- Integrate social, mathematical, and physical sciences, pharmacology, and pathophysiology in clinical decision making.
- Provide patient centered care by utilizing the nursing process across diverse populations and health care settings.
- Minimize risk of harm to patients, members of the health care team and self through safe individual performance and participation in system effectiveness.
- Lead the multidisciplinary health care team to provide effective patient care throughout the lifespan.
- Use information and technology to communicate, manage data, mitigate error, and support decision-making.
- Entry level; after passing National Council Licensure Exam
- Staff Nurse
- Primary Nurse
Applications for admission to the Nursing - Associate Degree with a Practical Nursing Exit Point program will continue to be accepted until further notice. Please check our Application Deadlines for periodic updates.
- Submit the college admission application.
- Submit the $30 one-time fee.
- Submit high school and other official college transcripts.
- Take the college assessment test (ACCUPLACER, ACT or other). The ACCUPLACER assessment can be taken at MPTC.
- Attend a program orientation with your advisor.
- Health Requirements need to be met and a Criminal Background Check is required.
Please visit the Admissions page for general information.
Clinical Admissions Requirements
- Petition Requirements (Currently accepted pre-core nursing students, go to myMPTC Student tab for specifics.)
- 806-177 General Anatomy and Physiology (4 credits)
- 806-179 Advanced Anatomy and Physiology (4 credits)
- 543-300 Nursing Assistant
|103-159||**Computer Literacy - Microsoft Office||1|
|543-104||Nursing: Introduction to Clinical Practice||2|
|801-136||English Composition 1||3|
|543-105||Nursing: Health Alterations||3|
|543-106||Nursing: Health Promotion||3|
|543-107||Nursing: Clinical Care Across the Lifespan||2|
|543-108||Nursing: Introduction to Clinical Care Management||2|
|801-196||Oral and Interpersonal Communication||3|
|543-109||Nursing: Complex Health Alterations 1||3|
|543-110||Nursing: Mental Health and Community Concepts||2|
|543-111||Nursing: Intermediate Clinical Practice||3|
|543-112||Nursing: Advanced Skills||1|
|809-198||Introduction to Psychology||3|
|543-113||Nursing: Complex Health Alterations 2||3|
|543-114||Nursing: Management and Professional Concepts||2|
|543-115||Nursing: Advanced Clinical Practice||3|
|543-116||Nursing Clinical Transition||2|
|809-166||Introduction to Ethics: Theory and Application||3|
|Total Program Credits and Institutional Requirements||68|
An exit assessment is a graduation requirement for Practical Nursing Exit. Clinical evaluations are an exit assessment graduation requirement for the Associate Degree Nursing program.
** The credits for 103-159 Computer Literacy-Microsoft Office and 890-101 College 101 are Institutional Requirements for graduation.
- Nursing - Associate Degree With a Practical Nursing Exit Point, 2016-2017
- Nursing - Associate Degree With a Practical Nursing Exit Point, 2015-2016
- Nursing - Associate Degree With a Practical Nursing Exit Point, 2014-2015
Check out the Credit Transfers page for more information.
*Enrollment may limit the campus availability or delivery of certain courses.
Practical Nursing Exit must complete all courses in Terms 1 and 2 including Institutional Requirements.
Moraine Park Technical College Nursing Program Results
2015-2016 NCLEX Pass Rates
First Time Candidates: 99
Number Passing: 96
Passing Mean: 96.97%
National Passing Mean: 83%
Nursing - Associate Degree with a Practical Nursing Exit Point Job Placement Rate
This is the number of students that gain employment in the Nursing - Associate Degree with a Practical Nursing Exit Point program within six months of graduation as published in the Graduation Follow-up Report found at http://www.morainepark.edu/about-mptc/college-data-demographics/graduate-data. The College annually conducts a survey with graduates six months after they graduate to better understand their employment status and satisfaction with their Moraine Park education. The data from the survey is compiled into the Graduate Follow-Up Report, which is solely based on confidential surveys completed by Moraine Park graduates.
For co-curricular activities and opportunities related to this program/certificate, click here.