Program Number: 10-531-1
School Year: 2015-2016
Associate of Applied Science Degree
Campus: Fond du Lac
Moraine Park Technical College’s Paramedic Technician program prepares students to perform prehospital medical procedures. People’s lives often depend on the quick reaction and competent care of emergency medical technicians (EMTs) and paramedics. Paramedics with additional advanced training can perform more difficult and demanding prehospital medical procedures. Incidents as varied as automobile accidents, heart attacks, drowning, childbirth and gunshot wounds all require immediate, professional medical attention. As a paramedic, you will provide this vital attention as you care for and transport the sick or injured. Major topics to be covered include patient assessment, pharmacology, pediatrics, ambulance/system operations, trauma, respiratory emergencies and medical emergencies.
The program begins in August every year and requires full-time enrollment. There is not a part-time option for this program. Students must have a current Emergency Medical Technician license to enroll in the Paramedic Technician program. General Studies courses may be completed on a part-time basis for this program.
The Paramedic Technician program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) in cooperation with the Committee on Accreditation of Educational Programs for the Emergency Medical Services Professions (CoA EMSP).
Statewide Median Salary for Recent Graduates
- $125.85 per credit (resident)
- $188.80 per credit (out-of-state resident)
- *Online students are not charged out-of-state fees.
- *Fees shown are 2014-2015 fees; 2015-2016 fees will be available as soon as they are approved.
- Prepare for incident response and EMS Operations.
- Integrate pathophysiological principles and assessment findings to provide appropriate patient care.
- Demonstrate paramedic skills associated with established standards and procedures for a variety of patient encounters.
- Communicate effectively with others.
- Demonstrate professional behavior.
- Meet state and national competencies listed for paramedic credentialing.
- Private Ambulance Companies
- Municipal Fire Departments
- Flight Paramedic
- Critical Care Transport Paramedic
- Private Emergency Response Teams
- Hospital Emergency and Critical Care Departments
- Submit the college admission application.
- Submit the $30 one-time fee.
- Submit high school and other official college transcripts.
- Take the college assessment test (ACCUPLACER, ACT or other). The ACCUPLACER assessment can be taken at MPTC.
- Attend a program orientation with your advisor.
- Health Requirements need to be met and a Criminal Background Check is required.
- Check with Admissions if any additional steps are required.
Please visit the Admissions page for general information.
|103-159||**Computer Literacy - Microsoft Office||1|
|531-912||Paramedic Medical Principles||4|
|531-913||Patient Assessment Principles||3|
|531-915||Paramedic Respiratory Management||2|
|531-917||Paramedic Clinical Field 1||3|
|531-919||Paramedic Medical Emergencies||4|
|531-921||Special Patient Populations||3|
|531-924||Paramedic Clinical Field 2||4|
|801-136||English Composition 1||3|
|801-196||Oral and Interpersonal Communication||3|
|806-177||General Anatomy and Physiology||4|
|809-198||Introduction to Psychology||3|
|806-179||Advanced Anatomy and Physiology||4|
|809-166||Introduction to Ethics: Theory and Application||3|
|809-196||Introduction to Sociology||3|
|Total Program Credits and Institutional Requirements||71|
531-923 Paramedic Capstone is the exit assessment graduation requirement for the program.
** The credits for 103-159 Computer Literacy-Microsoft Office and 890-101 College 101 are Institutional Requirements for graduation. Consequently, they are not part of the program credit requirements.
Check out the Credit Transfers page for more information.
After completion of this program you must complete the National Registry Exam process to be eligible to apply for an Emergency Medical Technician - Paramedic license with the State of Wisconsin.