The Start College Now program enables high school students to enroll in occupational/technical courses and/or general education courses and earn high school and college credit at the same time. The program is open to eligible 11th and 12th grade students who are currently enrolled in a Wisconsin public high school. Students must be in good academic standing for the school board to approve Start College Now, as well as other requirements.
Students apply directly to their high school for approval to the Start College Now program. The school district will pay 100% of the tuition costs and non-consumable course materials. Students who are not successful in Start College Now courses may need to reimburse school districts for the course and book fees.
Moraine Park has a maximum limit of 22 credits per semester to support the success of students. Students may request credit limit exceptions on a case by case basis. This limit also includes any combination of dual enrollment (dual credit, contract and Start College Now).
ALERT: Students with chromebooks may need access to a different computer! MPTC courses (online or in-person) typically use Canvas, the online learning platform, for all or portions of classwork. Canvas does not work well with Chromebooks. Read the FAQs for online learning.
Who is Eligible?
Public high school students in grades 11 and 12 who:
- Have completed 10th grade.
- TIP: 10th grade students in spring semester can apply for the upcoming fall when they will be in 11th grade
- Are in good academic standing and have no disciplinary/enrollment issues.
- Have approval from your high school, and parent/guardian.
Parents/Guardians: Review state guidelines here.
Important Note: We ask families to consider a student’s level of social and emotional maturity, as well as the self-motivation that is needed to take college-level coursework. There is the potential for mature subject matter in Start College Now courses. In addition, parent/guardian communication with the College is limited by the Family Educational Rights Protection Act. ( https://www.morainepark.edu/about-mptc/campus-visitor-information/ferpa/) If you have questions, you can contact the recruitment office at email@example.com or by calling 920-924-3208, TTY/VP: Use Relay/VRS
How do I start?
- Meet with your high school counselor to determine if SCN is right for you.
- Complete the Start College Now application and submit it to your high school by:
- March 1 for fall classes
- October 1 for spring classes
- Register for your class(es) as outlined in details that MPTC will provide to you after confirmation of approvals.