- What are the benefits of taking an online class?
- What computer skills do I need?
- Do I need to have an e-mail address in order to take an online class?
- What software do I need for my online class?
- How do I know if my computer meets the minimum system requirements to take an online class using the Learning Management System (LMS) platform?
- How do I communicate with my instructor and vice versa?
- How do I get started?
- I’ve never taken an online class before. How will I know what to do?
- How long is an online class?
- Can I work on my class from another computer?
- Do I need books/materials?
- Now that I’m registered for an online class, when will I receive my computer?
- What should I do if I forget my login information or if I’m having trouble logging into my class?
- I don’t understand something within my online class (i.e., how to do an assignment). Who should I contact?
What are the benefits of taking an online class?
You can work at home anytime and anywhere, unless you have a scheduled chat session with your instructor. If this is the case, your instructor should offer a variety of times and dates for you to choose from. Our instructors try to work with our students to accommodate busy schedules. The majority of our classes have scheduled assignments/assessments with due dates. They are NOT self-paced classes.
What computer skills do I need?
Do I need to have an e-mail address in order to take an online class?
All Moraine Park Technical College students are issued an MPTC student e-mail address at the time of registration. The student e-mail account is your official means of communication with the Learning Management System (LMS). This includes general communications, notifications for availability of grades, registration information, faculty communications, etc. For more information, Click Here.
What software do I need for my online class?
Students taking online classes with Moraine Park are required to submit their work using the Microsoft Office software. For the majority of classes, this means you need to use Microsoft Word. However, you may also be required to use any of the following software that is included in Microsoft Office:
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft OneNote
- Microsoft Outlook
Note that Office365 is available for free for all active MPTC students. Through Office365, you have the option of downloading and installing the whole Office package, including the software listed above, on up to five of your personal devices/computers at no cost to you.
In addition, as a Moraine Park student, you are eligible to purchase various computer software packages through the Moraine Park Bookstore at a reduced rate. These packages include software from Microsoft, Adobe, Autodesk, and other products.
Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack
If you have Microsoft Office 2000, XP, or 2003 and are experiencing difficulties opening Office 2007 documents on your PC, you may download the free Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack from Microsoft’s website. Please follow these steps:
- Do a Google Search for “Office Compatibility Pack”. The first search result should be a link to Microsoft’s website.
- Microsoft’s website gives detailed instructions on how to download and install the Office Compatibilty Pack to your PC.
How do I know if my computer meets the minimum system requirements to take an online class using the Learning Management System (LMS) platform?
Please refer to the following Canvas Guide: What are the basic computer specifications for Canvas?
How do I communicate with my instructor and vice versa?
How do I get started?
Please refer to How do I log into my Online Learning Account?
You can also view the video below to learn how to log in for the first time.
I’ve never taken an online class before. How will I know what to do?
Moraine Park highly recommends that first-time online students go through the Growing with Canvas course to learn how to use the online platform.
You can also view the Canvas Overview for Students below.
How long is an online class?
Classes range in length from 4, 6, 8 or 16 weeks. The start and end dates are published in Moraine Park’s printed class schedule or may be online.
Can I work on my class from another computer?
Do I need books/materials?
Almost all online classes do require books. To find out what books you’ll need, visit the Moraine Park Bookstore or call/e-mail the bookstore.
Now that I’m registered for an online class, when will I receive my computer?
Moraine Park does not issue computers to its students. It is your responsibility to find a computer with an Internet connection whether that is at your home, your place of work, or at an educational institution such as Moraine Park Technical College.
What should I do if I forget my login information or if I’m having trouble logging into my class?
Please contact the MPTC Technology Help Line.
I don’t understand something within my online class (i.e., how to do an assignment). Who should I contact?
All class-related questions should be directed to your instructor for the class.