This policy applies to all enrolled and prospective students; graduates and their associated data. It applies to all employees who manage and interact with student data at Moraine Park Technical College (MPTC).
This policy is designed to comply with and support federal and state laws related to the handling and privacy of student data including:
- Gramm-Leach Bliley 2003
- Privacy Act of 1974
- Family Education Rights and Privacy Act
- Fair and Accurate Credit Transaction Act of 2003
- Generally Accepted Privacy Principles as promulgated by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
Processing Related to Legitimate Interest
As an institution of higher education offering undergraduate, adult education, continuing education, non-credit and professional training, Moraine Park requires the collection of personal data to process applications, financial aid, registrations and invoices; and to provide instruction in order to provide students with appropriate industry credentials.
Choice and Consent
By supplying data to Moraine Park Technical College all persons and entities are consenting to the processing of their data for one or more of the specific purposes required for the College’s operations. The data subject (person or entity) may revoke the use of data for processing at any time by contacting the College.
The policy applies to the following data collected by the College:
- Contact Information including name, email, phone, address
- Personally identifiable information including but not limited to birth date, social security number, motor vehicle license, vaccination and health information, education and employment information.
- Financial information required to establish eligibility for payment or financial aid.
- Client Reporting data collected and provided in the aggregate to the Wisconsin Technical College System.
Use Retention and Disposal
All data processed and stored by the College are to be retained and disposed of in accordance with the College’s Records Retention Policy and the associated Procedure which includes the various operational functions’ records maintenance schedule.
Access and Data Governance
Access to subject data is restricted based on employment functions at the College. The access to data is managed by data stewards responsible for various types of data across the College according to the College’s Data Governance Policy and related procedures.
Disclosure to Third Parties
Moraine Park Technical College will only disclose subject data to governmental and other agencies as prescribed by law and governmental regulations. Data Subjects are entitled to view the data released to these entities.
Data is secured in locked file cabinets (if in paper form) or on secured College servers either on premises or with a third-party vendor. Access to digital or physical data assets is based on an employee’s/contractor’s role in supporting the operations of the College. The College utilizes industry standard digital security protocols to protect student data.