What is the CARES ACT Student Emergency Fund?
Emergency funds in the form of a Federal Grant have been provided to MPTC to help students impacted by COVID-19. Specifically this funding is intended to aid students for expenses related to the disruption of campus operations due to the coronavirus. It should provide direct emergency cash grants to students adversely impacted by the ongoing pandemic with unforeseen educational expenses, including:
- child care, while studying at home
- books, e-books or audio books
- course related materials, and
- technology (Keeping in mind that what works today may not work tomorrow, such as a checked-out laptop; borrowed equipment; laptops on the fritz. Cables, the continuing cost of high-speed internet, camera, headset, microphone, mouse, etc are also additional expenses.)
THIS FUNDING CANNOT BE USED FOR TUITION EXPENSES.
Do I qualify to apply?
- Applicants must be students that are enrolled/attending classes at MPTC during the Fall 2020 semester.
- Applicants must be enrolled at Moraine Park in associates or technical degree. Students who are in a certificate, boot camps, or basic education courses, Economic and Workforce Development, Department of Corrections, dual credit (high school), avocational or non-credit courses do not qualify.
- Applicants need to be financial aid eligible; you do not need to be recipients to receive this funding. This means you should complete a FAFSA to demonstrate your eligibility. Go to studentaid.gov if you have not completed a FAFSA for 2020-21.
- Applicants must complete the application (see link below) including a statement related to how the COVID-19 have been impactful and how this funding will be used to alleviate any financial issues.
- Please apply for your current needs. You may reapply as other needs come about.
How do I apply?
- Follow the link below to complete and submit an application for the CARES Act Student Emergency Fund.
- Submit any relevant documentation.
- Requests are reviewed within 24-36 hours and responses sent in 2-3 days.
- Requests received over the weekend will be processed in order received on the next open business day.
- Documentation will be needed for requests of $1,000 or more; some additional requests may be made before an application is approved.
- Email notifications to student accounts will be sent regarding the approval of each request along with information regarding the delivering of funds or alternative funding sources.
If I apply for over $1,000, what documentation can I provide?
|Books, e-books or audio books
||Copy of book fees or receipt
||Itemized list of technology expenses. This can be an online invoice or estimate from company such as Best Buy, Apple, or other company
||Course syllabus and receipts
All documentation must be recent and in the student’s name for consideration.
I have questions about the application process, who do I contact?
For questions regarding the application process please email or call Student Services at (920) 924-3207 or 1-800-472-4554.
*If your emergency is not related to the COVID-19, please go to MPTC’s Student Emergency Fund application to apply for assistance.
We at Moraine Park Technical College believe in an equal opportunity education for all and are making every effort to ensure our communications are easily accessible for anyone with a disability. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 920-924-3361 if you are experiencing accessibility issue with any information or forms regarding the CARES Act Emergency Fund.
How do I know I have been approved?
You will receive a communication to your student email account when your e-refund has begun processing. Deposits to your bank account are usually within 2-3 days after disbursement.
What is the fastest way to receive my funds?
To receive your emergency funds quickly, please make sure to sign up for the e-Refund.
If you are not currently set up for an e-Refund:
- Sign in to myMPTC Student and click on “My Finances”
- Then click on “MaxPay”
- Click your Name in the upper left corner
- Scroll down to Direct Deposit Refunds to enter your account information
You may also have your funds deposited to your Pre-Paid Credit Card. Call the phone number on the back of your card for the routing number/more information.
I have been approved, who do I contact for questions about a refund?
Please contact the Student Financial Services Office with questions about the e-Refund of your credit balance at (920) 924-3124 or email@example.com
Click here for Community Resources for students during COVID-19.
Through the CARES ACT, MPTC received a $607,643 grant from the US Department of Education to provide direct relief to help students impacted by Covid-19. These emergency assistance grants will be funded 100% with US Department of Education money, no College resources will be used.
CARES ACT Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund Reporting
Moraine Park Technical College has received $1,215,286 in Emergency Financial Aid Grants from the U.S. Department of Education of which 50% will be used to provide direct relief to MPTC students who have been impacted by the coronavirus.
As of September 21, 2020, 477 MPTC students (out of an estimated 2802 eligible MPTC students) have received an Emergency Financial Aid Grant.
MPTC students eligible to apply for an Emergency Financial Aid Grant include all students who are eligible for financial aid for the Fall 2020 semester and are enrolled in at least one credit (students must have completed Federal Application for Student Aid and must meet all financial aid eligibility requirements for the Fall 2020 semester).
Eligible students can access the CARES Act application in myMPTC.