Types of Financial Aid

  1. Home
  2. chevron_right
  3. Pay for College
  4. chevron_right
  5. Financial Aid
  6. chevron_right
  7. Types of Financial Aid

Federal Grants

Pell Grant was established to provide a foundation of aid to which all other types of aid are added. Determination of eligibility for a Pell is based upon the student’s need as determined by the FAFSA.

Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) may be available to supplement the Pell Grant for students with high need.

Bureau of Indian Affairs Grant is available to Native Americans who are at least one-fourth Indian lineage. Applicants must complete the Indian Scholarship Application available from the Bureau of Indian Affairs in addition to the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

State Grants

Wisconsin Grant Program (WHEG) can provide a grant to Wisconsin residents attending school at least half-time.

Minority Retention Grant Program is available to minority students who are Wisconsin residents in the second year of a two-year program and who have maintained a 2.0 grade point average.

Talent Incentive Program Grant (TIP) is designed to supplement the WHEG program for Wisconsin residents who may be disadvantaged or a minority.

Wisconsin Deaf/Blind Handicapped Program Grant is available to Wisconsin residents who are deaf, hard of hearing, or visually handicapped with need. Contact the Higher Educational Aids Board at (608) 266-0888 for more information.

Wisconsin Academic Excellence Scholarship Program is available to students chosen by Wisconsin high schools and the Department of Public Instruction. Students must enroll in an associate degree program, full-time, and maintain a 3.0 grade point average.

Wisconsin Technical Excellence Scholarship Program is
available to students chosen by Wisconsin high schools who have the highest
demonstrated level of proficiency in technical education subjects. Students
must be enrolled in a two or three year program. Scholarship recipients may
receive three years of TES funds when attending associate degree granting
technical colleges.

William D. Ford Federal Direct Loans

Subsidized Direct Loan

Interest does not accrue on the loan while the student is in school at least half-time, or during any future deferment periods. The federal government “subsidizes” (or pays) the interest during these times. The student must complete a FAFSA in order to qualify for these loans.

Unsubsidized Direct Loan

Interest will accrue from the time the loan is disbursed to the school, but can be deferred until 6 months after graduation. The student does not have to make any payments on the loan while attending school at least half-time, but may choose to pay the interest while in attendance.  The student must complete a FAFSA in order to qualify for these loans.

Parent PLUS Loan

This is a loan parents apply for to assist their students in paying for college tuition and living expenses.  The interest accrues upon disbursement and the parents are responsible for this loan.  Go to Studentaid.gov, click on Apply for Aid, and then select Apply for the PLUS loan.  Parents will log in to this account with their FSA ID to apply for this funding.  The student must complete a FAFSA in order to qualify for these loans.

Direct Loan Frequently Asked Questions

Get answers to frequently asked questions with regards to direct loans.

Alternative Loans

Alternative Loans are credit-based, private student loans. With an alternative student loan, you may borrow up to the full cost of your education, less other aid. Alternative loans generally have higher interest rates and fewer repayment options than federal loans. Generally, borrowers with better credit histories receive better loan terms. You may need a cosigner for these loans.

To apply for federal grants and loans, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

More Information about the Advantages of Federal Loans

Borrowing can be costly. We recommend you consider borrowing only if you have exhausted all other options.

Only borrow what you need. Make a budget for yourself to keep your debt within manageable limits.