Motorcycle/Scooter Basic Rider Course (BRC)
Whether you have never ridden before or already are an experienced rider, Moraine Park Technical College’s hands-on Basic Rider Course is a terrific way to learn the basics of operating a motorcycle, improving your skills and making wise judgments when riding. The Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) is the internationally recognized developer of the comprehensive, research-based, Rider Education and Training curriculum used in our course. We provide beginning and returning riders with hands-on experience in the basic skills of riding a motorcycle or scooter: straight-line riding, turning, shifting, braking and the mental skills needed for control. We provide the motorcycles too!
WisDOT Pre-requisite: Within 30 days before class starts, each student is required to complete the MSF Basic eCourse. The Certificate of Completion must be printed and brought to the first day of the class in order to participate. The certificate expires 30 days after completion. Do not complete the eCourse earlier than 30 days before the first day of class. It is recommended to allow one week to complete the eCourse. To complete the eCourse go to https://www.msf-usa.org/eCourse.aspx
- Estimated total completion time: 3 hrs.
- Minimum System Requirements
- Broadband connections work best – the eCourse is video intensive
- Browser: Current versions of Chrome, Safari and Firefox are all supported
- For Internet Explorer, version 10 or above is supported
- You will need access to a printer at the end of the course to print a completion certificate
- For technical support: call 949-727-3227, ext 3158
- MSF e-course fee is $19.99
Moraine Park Technical College BRC
- A complete entry-level, learn-to-ride class (experienced riders will benefit from this course as well)
- Complete in just one weekend OR in a Monday through Thursday weekday course.
- Weekends: Friday 5:30 p.m.–8:30 p.m., Saturday 8:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m., Sunday 8:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m.
- Weekdays: Monday through Thursday
- Mornings – 8:00 a.m. to noon, or
- Evenings – 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Very experienced MSF and WisDOT certified rider coaches.
- Small class size:
- 8 students maximum allows for more individualized attention.
- Emphasis on learner-centered activity promoting heightened awareness of riding within limitations of the rider, motorcycle, and riding environment.
- Includes at least 15 hours of formal training consisting of:
- Approximately five hours devoted to learning activities in the classroom.
- Around 10 hours of hands-on experience on the practice range.
Students successfully completing this course are awarded:
- Motorcycle Skills Test Waiver Authorization
- Waives the riding portion of your Wisconsin DMV motorcycle endorsement test
- BRC course completion card
- May provide insurance discounts – contact your insurance agent
Other important information:
- A Motorcycle Instruction Permit (temps) is not required.
- A Wisconsin picture ID is required.
- Participants under the age of 18 are required to have a parent or guardian sign a liability waiver form in the presence of a Moraine Park staff person or a Notary Public before class begins.
- The BRC is open to Wisconsin residents 15 1/2 years of age or older.
- The minimum age to apply for a Wisconsin DMV Motorcycle Instruction permit is 16.
- For Proof of enrollment in our BRC, contact MPTC at 920-924-3306.
- MPTC Provides Motorcycles – Students are required to use our motorcycles.
- We also have a maximum of two 125cc automatic transmission scooters available for each course. To reserve a scooter, select a CRN No. under the Scooter Section.
- To participate in the riding portion of the course, students must be physically capable of handling the motorcycles or 125cc scooters provided.
- Students will be shown the motorcycles and scooters used for the riding portion of the class before range exercises begin. Students who feel that they cannot physically handle the bikes may withdraw from the course at that time. That will be the only time students can withdraw from the course after it starts and be eligible for a refund.
- MPTC provides all books and materials.
- Classes meet rain or shine
- Riding gear required on the first day of class:
- Helmet – 3/4 to full face – Half helmets will not be allowed
- Full-fingered gloves
- Above the ankle boots
- Long sleeve shirts, Long pants
- Eye protection
- Due to health and safety considerations in regards to COVID-19, MPTC cannot supply helmets, gloves and safety glasses at this time. Students must bring their own. Please call for details.
- IMPORTANT: While neither a Motorcycle instruction license (temps) nor a Motorcycle license endorsement is required to take our course, it is illegal to ride a motorcycle or scooter over 50cc on the street without such license. If you own a bike over 50cc, do not ride it to school unless you possess either a valid Motorcycle instruction license or Motorcycle license endorsement. Our instructors are obligated to report any violation of this law to the authorities and the student will not be allowed to continue the course.
Motorcycle Rider Course 816-400
Fond du Lac Campus, Room B-127
|Dates||Days of Week||Time|
|10126||10137||7/10/2020||Fri||5:30 PM – 8:25 PM|
|7/11/2020||Sat||8:00 AM – 4:55 PM|
|7/12/2020||Sun||8:00 AM – 1:55 PM|
|10127||10138||7/13/2020||Mon||5:00 PM – 8:55 PM|
|7/14/2020||Tues||5:00 PM – 8:55 PM|
|7/15/2020||Wed||5:00 PM – 8:55 PM|
|7/16/2020||Thurs||5:00 PM – 8:55 PM|
|10128||10139||7/17/2020||Fri||5:30 PM – 8:25 PM|
|7/18/2020||Sat||8:00 AM – 4:55 PM|
|7/19/2020||Sun||8:00 AM – 1:55 PM|
|10129||10140||7/20/2020||Mon||5:00 PM – 8:55 PM|
|7/21/2020||Tues||5:00 PM – 8:55 PM|
|7/22/2020||Wed||5:00 PM – 8:55 PM|
|7/23/2020||Thurs||5:00 PM – 8:55 PM|
|10130||10141||7/24/2020||Fri||5:30 PM – 8:25 PM|
|7/25/2020||Sat||8:00 AM – 4:55 PM|
|7/26/2020||Sun||8:00 AM – 1:55 PM|
|10131||10142||7/31/2020||Fri||5:30 PM – 8:25 PM|
|8/1/2020||Sat||8:00 AM – 4:55 PM|
|8/2/2020||Sun||8:00 AM – 1:55 PM|
|10182||10184||8/7/2020||Fri||5:30 PM – 8:25 PM|
|8/8/2020||Sat||8:00 AM – 4:55 PM|
|8/9/2020||Sun||8:00 AM – 1:55 PM|
|10183||10185||8/14/2020||Fri||5:30 PM – 8:25 PM|
|8/15/2020||Sat||8:00 AM – 4:55 PM|
|8/16/2020||Sun||8:00 AM – 1:55 PM|
|20145||20150||8/21/2020||Fri||5:30 PM – 8:25 PM|
|8/22/2020||Sat||8:00 AM – 4:55 PM|
|8/23/2020||Sun||8:00 AM – 1:55 PM|
|20146||20151||8/28/2020||Fri||5:30 PM – 8:25 PM|
|8/29/2020||Sat||8:00 AM – 4:55 PM|
|8/30/2020||Sun||8:00 AM – 1:55 PM|
|21202||21203||9/4/2020||Fri||5:30 PM – 8:25 PM|
|9/5/2020||Sat||8:00 AM – 4:55 PM|
|9/6/2020||Sun||8:00 AM – 1:55 PM|
|20147||20152||9/11/2020||Fri||5:30 PM – 8:25 PM|
|9/12/2020||Sat||8:00 AM – 4:55 PM|
|9/13/2020||Sun||8:00 AM – 1:55 PM|
|20148||20153||9/18/2020||Fri||5:30 PM – 8:25 PM|
|9/19/2020||Sat||8:00 AM – 4:55 PM|
|9/20/2020||Sun||8:00 AM – 1:55 PM|
|20149||20154||9/25/2020||Fri||5:30 PM – 8:25 PM|
|9/26/2020||Sat||8:00 AM – 4:55 PM|
|9/27/2020||Sun||8:00 AM – 1:55 PM|
If you’ve taken a course at MPTC before, you can register online via your myMPTC account. You can also register in person, by phone or by mail. Please see www.morainepark.edu/admissions/taking-a-class-or-two/register/ for more information or contact our Student Services Call Center at 920-924-3207.
Class schedules and fees are subject to change without notice and are not to be considered as contractual guarantees for any course.