- Programs & Courses
- Programs & Courses
- General Education Requirements
- Academic Standards
- Class Schedule
- Online Learning
- Self-paced Learning
- Continuing Education
- Basic Education, GED & ELL
- Experiential Learning
- Transfer Opportunities
- High School Opportunities
- Types of Programs
- Admission & Registration
- Admission & Registration
- Enroll in a Program
- Take a Class
- Important Student Dates
- Academic Calendar
- Financial Aid
- About Financial Aid
- How to Apply for Financial Aid
- Financial Aid Workshops
- Types of Financial Aid
- Financial Aid Forms
- Loan Requirements
- GradReady Financial Wellness
- Veteran Benefits
- Business & Industry
- Facilities Rental
- Food Services
- Public Surplus
- Student Learning Labs
- Student Life
- Student Resources
- Student Resources
- Open Computer Labs
- Academic Advising
- Career Center
- Counseling Services
- Disability Resources
- Diversity Relations
- Student Employment Services
- Non-traditional Occupations
- Transcripts and Student Records
- TRIO Student Support Services / EDGE
- Transition Specialist
- Tech Knowledge College
- Technology Help
- About MPTC
- About MPTC
- Campus & Visitor Information
- College Leadership
- College Data & Demographics
- Adjunct Faculty
- Faculty Credentialing
- A Great Place to Work
- Equal Opportunity Employment/Diversity
- Department Directory
- Administration and Faculty
- Fair Trade College
- NEXT Magazine
- What vehicles are accepted?
- Most makes and models of cars and light duty trucks, 15 years old or newer are acceptable
- For 2017-2018 school year, vehicle has to be a 2003 or newer
- The work has to apply to classroom instruction
- MPTC reserves the right not to accept a vehicle
- Whose vehicles are accepted?
- Student, staff and general public vehicles
- There is no formal advertising so as not to disrupt the automotive service repair businesses in the area
- When do we do work in lab?
- Monday – Thursday, 7:30 a.m.–5 p.m., and some evenings, no repair work is done Friday-Sunday
- Closed during winter break, spring break, and summer
- See the schedule of specific repairs below
- What will it cost to have my vehicle worked on?
- $10 shop fee for shop supplies and hazard waste for all vehicles
- Parts and materials
- No charge for labor, although donations to the Moraine Park Auto Club are appreciated. (See student for more information.)
- All vehicle repairs must be paid for in full before the vehicle can leave the premises.
- Vehicles with major repairs, such as engine and transmission repairs, will require payment on high cost part(s) prior to repairs being performed.
- Where do you purchase parts; and am I allowed to furnish my own parts?
- It is a school policy that all parts are purchased through Moraine Park’s Parts Store.
- MPTC uses a combination of new car dealers and aftermarket sources (i.e., NAPA , CARQUEST, Anders, United Parts Plus, etc.) for parts.
- Prices charged are near equivalent to retail prices.
- Students, under the advisement of the instructor, will determine what parts are to be replaced and where the parts are to be obtained from.
- How are vehicle repairs scheduled, and is there a promise time when vehicles will be done?
- You must submit a vehicle repair request form, found at the bottom of this page. Once your request is submitted you will get an automatic reply confirming your submission following a reply from an instructor once an instructor has verified that your request meets our criteria for a given course. The instructor will then add your request onto a customer work list.
- The students use the customer work list to schedule the work they need to get done for their course. The student will call you to schedule your needed repairs and will continue to communicate with you as they are working on your vehicle until repairs are completed. Remember you will be communicating with students who are learning this process. If you have concerns, try to contact the appropriate instructor. See the schedule below.
- There is no promised time of completion.
- Please be prepared to leave the vehicle for a prolonged period of time as students generally work in the lab 4 hours a day.
- Is there a guarantee or warranty on the work?
- There is no guarantee or warranty expressed or implied on repairs or parts.
- Will I receive an estimate?
- Students always prepare estimates based on what is necessary to repair the vehicle to industry standards.
- An agreed-upon dollar amount can be discussed with the student before repairs begin. This sometimes works best to expedite repairs.
- If there is a need to exceed the amount agreed upon, the vehicle owner or responsible party will be contacted before proceeding with further repairs.
- Can I have aftermarket accessories installed?
- No. MPTC does not install non-factory equipment such as remote starters, keyless entry, alarm systems, or work on other types of equipment.
- Do we do body repairs or work on motorcycles, boats, forklifts, lawn tractors, etc.?
- No. MPTC only works on automobiles and light-duty trucks, and only repairs original equipment.
- How can I contact the instructors?
Please do not call or e-mail instructors for car advice; call for repair requests only.
Vehicle Repair Schedule
|Course Name||Monday-Thursday Morning Lab Repairs (2nd Year Students)||When||Instructor|
|Climate Control Systems||Air conditioning, lack of heat concerns, blower fan, compressor, evaporator, condenser, heater core, etc.||August thru Mid-Sept||Corrente/Schwanz|
|Engine Repair 2||Engine repairs, oil leaks, coolant leaks, engine noises, engine replacement, head gasket, timing belt, etc.||Mid Sept/October||Schwanz/Corrente|
|Engine Performance 2||Engine performance concerns, Check Engine light on, engine runs rough, misfires, stalls, doesn’t start, fuel tank, fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel injector cleaning, exhaust repairs, etc.||November/December||Corrente/Schwanz|
|Shop Simulation/Internship 2||Any and all work that students have prior training, call the 2nd year students in the lab for details. Work done Monday afternoon only.||August thru December||Daniels/Schwanz|
|Auto Transmission/Transaxle||Automatic transmission diagnosis, service, repair, or replacement||January to March||Daniels/Schwanz|
|Advanced Chassis Systems||Anti-lock brakes, traction control, air suspension, automatic suspension systems, stability control system, etc.||January to March||Schwanz/Daniels|
|Manual Drive Train and Axles||Clutches, manual transmission, drive axle service, CV joints/boots, u-joints, axle/differential repair, 4WD, wheel bearings, etc.||March thru May||Schwanz/Daniels|
|Light Duty Diesel Engine Operation||Diesel drivability concerns and maintenance, hybrid vehicle concerns||March thru May||Daniels/Schwanz|
|Shop Simulation/Internship 3||Any and all work that students have prior training, call the 2nd|
year students in the lab for details. Work done Monday afternoon only.
|January thru May||Daniels/Schwanz|
|Course Name||Monday Evening/Tuesday-Thursday Afternoon Lab Repairs (1st Year Students)||When||Instructor|
|Auto Service Fundamentals||Oil changes, tire service, replace external light bulbs, wiper blades, transmission fluids service, etc.||August thru Mid-Sept||Moy/Daniels|
|Brake Systems||Brakes and wheel bearings (does not include antilock brakes)||Mid Sept/October||Daniels/Moy|
|Steering and Suspension Systems||Alignment, struts, tie rods, ball joints, shocks, power steering, steering racks, steering column, tires, wheel bearings, etc.||November/December||Daniels/Moy|
|Electrical and Electronic Systems 2 & 3||Battery, starter, alternator, inside/outside lights, gauges, power lock, windows, mirrors, and seats, window defogger, air bags, factory anti-theft systems, cruise control, etc.||January thru March||Moy/Corrente|
|Engine Repair 1 & Engine Performance 1||Coolant flush, water pump, thermostat, radiator, hoses, serpentine belt, engine mechanical testing, Check Engine light, engine tune-up, spark plugs, plug wires, ignition coils, etc.||March thru May||Corrente/Moy|
|Shop Simulation/Internship 1||Brakes, steering & suspension, wheel alignment, oil changes, trans service. Work done Thursday evening only.||January thru May||Corrente/Moy|