REQUEST PROGRAM INFORMATION
Program Number: 10-482-1
School Year: 2019-2020
Associate of Applied Science Degree
Campus: Fond du Lac, shared with Lakeshore Technical College
This program is eligible for financial aid
The wind energy industry is the fastest growing segment of renewable energy production. The U.S. and Canadian commercial wind farms are experiencing annual growth of 25%. Employers seek skilled technicians for operation and maintenance activities in local wind farm settings. There is also intense demand for upper-level technicians within U.S. and international wind turbine manufacturers; these include installation technician, quality control technician, and warranty and commissioning technicians. Operation and maintenance positions generally remain with a given wind farm location; other technicians travel extensively with the development of new wind farms and repair/retrofitting of wind farms around the world.
Students are able to complete their general studies courses and a number of core program courses at Moraine Park and enroll in the Wind Energy Technology courses at Lakeshore Technical College (LTC). LTC's Wind Energy Technology courses focus on applying knowledge and skills to install, test, service and repair wind turbine components and Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems. They also focus on applying safety practices required on the job and learning safe wind turbine tower climbing skills. For more information, please see Lakeshore Technical College's Wind Energy Technology program information.
Statewide Median Salary for Recent Graduates
- $136.50 per credit (resident)
- $204.75 per credit (out-of-state resident)
- Online students are not charged out-of-state fees.
- Please refer to the MPTC Student Handbook for additional enrollment fee information.
- Install, inspect, test, service, and repair wind turbine components.
- Wear proper Personal Protection Equipment, identify hazards, mitigate said hazards, and safely climb towers.
- Cognitively think and use deductive reasoning as well as manufacturer information while troubleshooting or maintaining a wind turbine.
- Clearly and responsibly communicate appropriate information with stakeholders under minimal supervision.
- Practice the basics of self-evaluation and rescue.
- Installation Technician
- Operation and Maintenance Technician
- Wind Farm Maintenance Manager
- Wind Turbine Technician/Mechanic/Tower Climber
The admission process for a shared program should be completed at the host college granting the degree. Please submit the following to Lakeshore Technical College:
College admission application
$30 one-time fee
High school and other official college transcripts
College assessment test (ACCUPLACER, ACT or other). Note the ACCUPLACER assessment can be taken at MPTC.
Meet with a representative at the host college to review course sequencing.
Check with the host college if any additional steps are required.