REQUEST PROGRAM INFORMATION
Program Number: 31-509-1
School Year: 2018-2019
Technical Diploma (1 year)
Campus: Beaver Dam, Fond du Lac, West Bend
Moraine Park’s Medical Assistant program prepares students to assist the physician in a variety of clinical tasks. Students develop the skills to take medical histories, record vital signs, prepare patients for examination, collect and prepare laboratory specimens, perform basic laboratory tests, draw blood and instruct patients about medications or special diets. As graduates, these clinical tasks are performed under the supervision of a physician and vary according to state law. The main goal of the program is to prepare competent entry-level medical assistants in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains.
Medical assistants may also perform administrative tasks such as billing and insurance, greeting patients on the phone and in person, handling correspondence, scheduling appointments and updating patient medical records. The medical assistant profession is one of the fastest growing occupations. Click here to discover more about the different career pathways in the Medical Office Cluster programs.
Graduates of the Medical Assistant program are eligible to write the Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) exam offered by the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA) and/or the Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) exam by the American Medical Technologists (AMT).
The Medical Assistant program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (www.caahep.org) upon the recommendation of the Medical Assisting Education Review Board (MAERB). Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs, 25400 U.S. Highway 19 North, Suite 158, Clearwater, FL 33763, 727-210-2350. www.caahep.org
Statewide Median Salary for Recent Graduates
- $134.20 per credit (resident)
- $201.30 per credit (out-of-state resident)
- Online students are not charged out-of-state fees.
- Please refer to the MPTC Student Handbook for additional enrollment fee information.
- Perform medical office administrative functions.
- Provide patient care in accordance with regulations, policies, laws and patient rights.
- Perform medical laboratory procedures.
- Demonstrate professionalism in a healthcare setting.
- Demonstrate safety and emergency practices in a healthcare setting.
- Medical Assistant
- Referral Specialist/Scheduler
- Lab Assistant
- Health Information Associate
- Patient Care Technician
- Patient Services Assistant
- Business Office Specialist
- Submit the college admission application.
- Submit the $30 one-time fee.
- Submit high school and other official college transcripts.
- Take the college assessment test (ACCUPLACER, ACT or other). The ACCUPLACER assessment can be taken at MPTC.
- Health Requirements need to be met and a Criminal Background Check is required.
Please visit the Admissions page for general information.
The information below is provided as a federal requirement in an effort to help students make informed educational decisions. Specifically, Gainful Employment aims to provide information related to future potential debt burden in comparison to the expected earnings in a chosen program or field.
|501-107||Digital Literacy for Healthcare||2|
|509-101||Medical Assistant Administrative Procedures||2|
|509-102||Human Body in Health and Disease||3|
|509-303||Medical Assistant Laboratory Procedures 1||2|
|509-304||Medical Assistant Clinical Procedures 1||4|
|501-108||Pharmacology for Allied Health||2|
|509-107||Medical Office Insurance and Finance||2|
|509-109||Medical Law, Ethics and Professionalism||2|
|509-305||Medical Assistant Laboratory Procedures 2||2|
|509-306||Medical Assistant Clinical Procedures 2||3|
|509-310||Medical Assistant Practicum||3|
|801-136||English Composition 1||3|
|Total Program Credits and Institutional Requirements||35|
** The credits for 890-101 College 101 are Institutional Requirements for graduation.
Additional Program Requirements
Students are required to complete background checks, health information, and certification for healthcare provider CPR. 509-310 Medical Assistant Practicum must be taken the last semester before graduation.
For additional information on program curriculum, prerequisites and general education course options, please contact your advisor.
Check out the Credit Transfers page for more information.
*Enrollment may limit the campus availability or delivery of certain courses.
509-306 Medical Assistant Clinical Procedures 2 is the exit assessment graduation requirement for the program.
- Students are prepared for the national medical assisting exams. The Medical Assistant program at Moraine Park Technical College has an exam pass rate of 93.60% for the past five years.
There are a number of support services available at Moraine Park Technical College for students to ensure successful program completion. Graduates of the Medical Assistant program at Moraine Park Technical College are satisfied with the education they receive and report a satisfaction rate of 99.27% over the past five years.
Employers seek graduates of Moraine Park Technical College Medical Assistant and report 98.73% satisfaction with graduates of the program over the past five years.
For co-curricular activities and opportunities related to this program/certificate, click here.