REQUEST PROGRAM INFORMATION
Program Number: 10-530-1
School Year: 2019-2020
Associate of Applied Science Degree
Campus: Online, (clinicals required)
This program is eligible for financial aid
This field is where health care meets the cutting edge of technology! Health information technicians are specialists in great demand! The HIM professionals can expect to be in high demand as the health sector expands. In fact, the Bureau of Labor Statistics cites health information technology as one of the fastest growing occupations in the U.S. Health information technicians contribute to the quality of care by collecting, analyzing, and reporting health care data. This requires knowledge of disease, treatments, computer systems and organizational skills.
This program can be completed on a full-time or part-time basis. All core program classes are offered online.
Graduates are in great demand by hospitals, clinics, nursing homes, insurance companies, medical research organizations and government agencies.
The Health Information Technology program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM) http://cahiim.org. Graduates are eligible to take the national certification exam offered by the American Health Information Management Association to become Registered Health Information Technicians (RHIT).
- Moraine Park's Health Information Technology (HIT) graduates have exceeded the national pass rate on the RHIT exam for over 25 years. 100% of Moraine Park's HIT graduates taking the exam in 2016/2017 passed. The national pass rate was 69%.
- 100% of the 2018 program students received a score of 92 - 100 (potential job candidate/strong job candidate) on the professional practice experience evaluations.
- 83% of the responding 2016/2017 graduates were employed in the field within six (6) months of graduation.
Job shadowing in this field is recommended prior to application. For more information about this career: www.ahima.org/careers.
Statewide Median Salary for Recent Graduates
- $136.50 per credit (resident)
- $204.75 per credit (out-of-state resident)
- Online students are not charged out-of-state fees.
- Please refer to the MPTC Student Handbook for additional enrollment fee information.
- Apply coding and reimbursement systems.
- Model professional behavior and ethics.
- Apply organizational management techniques.
- Apply data governance principles to ensure the quality of health data.
- Apply informatics and analytics in data use.
- Coding Specialist
- Release of Information Specialist
- Health Information Technician
- Reimbursement Coordinator
- Data Quality and Integrity Monitor
- Data Security, Privacy and Confidentiality Manager
- Health Data Analyst
- Enterprise Content Information Manager
Applications are currently being accepted.
- Visit the Admissions Page for details
- In addition to standard admissions, this program also has:
- Health Requirements
- Criminal Background Check
|501-107||Digital Literacy for Healthcare||2|
|530-162||Foundations of HIM||3|
|801-136||English Composition 1||3|
|- OR -|
|806-177||General Anatomy and Physiology||4|
|530-178||Healthcare Law and Ethics||2|
|530-182||Human Diseases for the Health Professions||3|
|530-197||ICD Diagnosis Coding||3|
|530-163||Healthcare Stats and Analytics||3|
|530-164||Introduction to Health Informatics||3|
|530-199||ICD Procedure Coding||2|
|809-1xx||Behavioral Science Course||3|
|809-1xx||Social Science Course||3|
|530-161||Health Quality Management||3|
|530-167||Management of HIM Resources||3|
|809-1xx||Social Science Course||3|
|Total Program Credits and Institutional Requirements||62|
** The credits for 890-101 College 101 are Institutional Requirements for graduation.
For additional information on program curriculum, prerequisites and general education course options, please contact your advisor.
Check out the Credit Transfers page for more information.
*Enrollment may limit the campus availability or delivery of certain courses.
An Internship is the exit assessment graduation requirement for the program.
For co-curricular activities and opportunities related to this program/certificate, click here.