Program Number: 10-160-3
School Year: 2017-2018
Associate of Applied Science Degree
Campus: Fond du Lac
NOTICE: This is not a program listing for the current school year and may have incorrect information. To view the current year's program information, click here.
Medical office managers play a vital role in the health care industry by planning, directing, and coordinating medical and health services. The Medical Office Manager may focus on management of facility operations, specialize in managing a specific clinical area or department, or manage a medical practice for a group of physicians. These individuals work closely with providers, employees, patients, and payors to ensure successful operations.
The program is comprised of a progressive career ladder transitioning from two certificates (Administrative Medical Assistant and Medical Billing Specialist) --> Technical Diploma (Medical Office Specialist) --> Associate Degree (Medical Office Management). Students will also earn a local certificate (Healthcare Leadership). Click here to discover more about the different career pathways in the Medical Office Cluster programs.
This program is highly recommended for graduates of Medical Assistant, Medical Office Specialist, and Medical Billing Specialist who wish to pursue an Associate’s Degree to elevate their career opportunities.
Statewide Median Salary for Recent Graduates
- $132.20 per credit (resident)
- $198.30 per credit (out-of-state resident)
- Online students are not charged out-of-state fees.
- Fees shown are 2017-2018 fees; 2018-2019 fees will be available as soon as they are approved.
- Please refer to the MPTC Student Handbook for additional enrollment fee information.
- Demonstrate healthcare leadership.
- Perform quality and risk management.
- Apply medical terminology and human anatomy.
- Practice legal and ethical compliance in a healthcare setting
- Utilize practice management and electronic medical record (EMR) software.
- Provide employee relations.
- Physician's offices & clinics
- Health insurance companies
- Nursing homes
- Skilled nursing facilities
- Public health departments
- Submit the college admission application.
- Submit the $30 one-time fee.
- Submit high school and other official college transcripts.
- Take the college assessment test (ACCUPLACER, ACT or other). The ACCUPLACER assessment can be taken at MPTC.
- Attend a program orientation with your advisor.
- Health Requirements need to be met and a Criminal Background Check is required.
Please visit the Admissions page for general information.
|501-107||Digital Literacy for Healthcare||2|
|509-101||Medical Assistant Administrative Procedures||2|
|509-102||Human Body in Health and Disease||3|
|509-107||Medical Office Insurance and Finance||2|
|801-136||English Composition 1||3|
|160-151||Specialized Insurance Claims||3|
|160-152||Electronic Patient Billing||3|
|160-154||Medical Office Administration||4|
|160-160||Medical Office Practicum||2|
|501-108||Pharmacology for Allied Health||2|
|509-109||Medical Law, Ethics and Professionalism||2|
|196-189||Team Building and Problem Solving||3|
|809-1xx||Social Science Course||3|
|809-1xx||Behavioral Science Course||3|
|160-162||Medical Practice Management||3|
|160-166||Medical Office Management Capstone||1|
|196-192||Managing for Quality||3|
|196-169||Diversity and Change Management||3|
|Total Program Credits and Institutional Requirements||67|
Students will earn an Administrative Medical Assistant Certificate when completing these courses.
Students will earn a Medical Billing Specialist Certificate when completing these courses.
General Education Options
** The credits for 890-101 College 101 are Institutional Requirements for graduation.
Additional Program Requirements
Students are required to complete Healthcare Provider CPR, health requirements, and criminal background check prior to Medical Office Practicum.
For additional information on program curriculum, prerequisites and general education course options, please contact your advisor.
Check out the Credit Transfers page for more information.
*Enrollment may limit the campus availability or delivery of certain courses.
For co-curricular activities and opportunities related to this program/certificate, click here.