Program Number: 50-502-1
School Year: 2018-2019
Campus: West Bend
Cosmetologists cut, trim, shampoo and style hair. They advise patrons on how to care for their hair, straighten, permanent wave and apply color. In addition, most cosmetologists are trained to give manicures, pedicures, and scalp and facial treatments; provide makeup analysis; and clean and style wigs and hairpieces. Cosmetologists generally work in clean, pleasant surroundings with good lighting and ventilation. Good health and stamina are important because much of the workday will be spent standing. The cosmetologist works with current fashion trends to create a total look for today’s men, women and children. Cosmetologists also need to stay current with the laws and regulations governing business operation, sanitation and safety.
For apprenticeship application information, please contact a Bureau of Apprenticeship Standards Representative at 262-335-5849.
Applicants should be 18 years of age and submit an apprentice and employer application to their Bureau of Apprenticeship Standards Representative. See representative information.
The Cosmetology Apprenticeship consists of two years of not less than 4,000 hours. The apprentice spends 6 hours per week for three semesters in paid-related classroom instruction, for a total of 288 hours. Once the apprenticeship is completed, the individual takes the state test to become a licensed practitioner.
Cosmetologists generally work in well-lit, well-ventilated shops but will be standing on their feet for long periods.
Tools And Equipment
The shop owner will provide hand tools and equipment during the apprenticeship.
- $134.20 per credit (resident)
- $201.30 per credit (out-of-state resident)
- Online students are not charged out-of-state fees.
- Fees shown are 2017-2018 fees; 2018-2019 fees will be available as soon as they are approved.
- Please refer to the MPTC Student Handbook for additional enrollment fee information.
- Practice Wisconsin statutes and administrative codes.
- Practice client consultation.
- Apply theory of hair cutting, styling, and coloring to actual applications.
- Explain product application and contents.
- Analyze effects of products on anatomy and hair structure.
- Apply makeup.
- Apply principles of good skin care.
- Perform nail care techniques.
- Identify skin diseases.
- Incorporate green practices into the workplace.
- Complete state licensing exam.
- Nail Technician
- Retail Sales
- Salon Manager
- Salon Owner
- Makeup Artist
- Spa Services
- Skin Care
- Obtain a job in the trade or profession you would like to apprentice.
- Obtain an employer who is willing to sponsor you.
- Complete an apprentice and employer application.
- Applications for this trade are available from the Bureau of Apprenticeship Standards (BAS) at 608-266-3135.
- Upon completion of the applications, a contract will be issued. The technical college will then notify you when classes will begin.
- Must be 18 years old.
Please visit the Admissions page for general information.
Three semester program; One class per semester
|502-501||Shampooing, Cutting, Styling and Permanent Waving||108||3|
|502-502||Relaxing, Coloring, Nails and Skin||108||3|
|502-503||Health, Image, Structure and Law||108||3|
A state of Wisconsin Licensing Exam is required.
Based on Moraine Park’s curriculum design, actual program hours will be delivered at 324 hours. The state has required a minimum of 288 hours paid-related instruction.
Students will begin the semester directly following their indenture date. There are no prerequisites.
|Related Electives (unpaid related)|
*Transition to Trainer, Your Role as a Journeyworker
For apprenticeship application information, please contact a Bureau of Apprenticeship Standards Representative at 262-335-5326.
For additional information on program curriculum, prerequisites and general education course options, please contact your advisor.
Check out the Credit Transfers page for more information.
*Enrollment may limit the campus availability or delivery of certain courses.
For co-curricular activities and opportunities related to this program/certificate, click here.