Program Number: 31-307-1
School Year: 2018-2019
Technical Diploma (1 year)
Campus: Fond du Lac, West Bend
The Child Care Services technical diploma is part of a cluster of programs designed to meet the increasing demand for quality child care. The coursework provides students with the foundational knowledge and skills to understand the emotional, mental and physical development of young children; how to create developmentally appropriate classroom activities; how to guide behaviors; and how to provide a healthy, well-rounded learning environment. These skills are applied in practicum experiences where students gain hands-on experience working with children in local child care centers. This program prepares students for jobs in a variety of early childhood settings.
The Child Care Services program is part of the first year of Moraine Park’s Early Childhood Education associate of applied science degree. All the Child Care Services classes are directly transferable into the Early Childhood Education program if students wish to continue their education.
Both Fond du Lac and West Bend offer the complete program. A few courses are offered online. Fond du Lac offers primarily day courses and West Bend primarily evening classes.
Scholarships may be available for students who are employed in a licensed or exempt early childhood center or a licensed or certified family child care program. Applicants must have the support of their employer and possess a high school diploma or GED.
Statewide Median Salary for Recent Graduates
- $132.20 per credit (resident)
- $198.30 per credit (out-of-state resident)
- Online students are not charged out-of-state fees.
- Fees shown are 2017-2018 fees; 2018-2019 fees will be available as soon as they are approved.
- Please refer to the MPTC Student Handbook for additional enrollment fee information.
- Relate knowledge of child development to practice.
- Create relationships with children, family and the community.
- Apply observations, documentation and assessment strategies.
- Implement developmentally appropriate teaching and learning activities.
- Demonstrate professionalism.
- Follow health, safety and nutrition practices.
- Child Care Teacher
- Child Care Assistant Teacher
- Family Child Care Provider
- Submit the college admission application.
- Submit the $30 one-time fee.
- Submit high school and other official college transcripts.
- Take the college assessment test (ACCUPLACER, ACT or other). The ACCUPLACER assessment can be taken at MPTC.
- Health Requirements need to be met and a Criminal Background Check is required.
Please visit the Admissions page for general information.
The information below is provided as a federal requirement in an effort to help students make informed educational decisions. Specifically, Gainful Employment aims to provide information related to future potential debt burden in comparison to the expected earnings in a chosen program or field.
|307-151||ECE: Infant and Toddler Development||3|
|307-167||ECE: Health, Safety and Nutrition||3|
|307-174||ECE: Practicum 1||3|
|307-178||ECE: Art, Music and Language Arts||3|
|307-188||ECE: Guiding Children's Behavior||3|
|801-136||English Composition 1||3|
|103-159||**Computer Literacy - Microsoft Office||1|
|307-148||ECE: Foundations of Early Childhood Education||3|
|307-179||ECE: Child Development||3|
|307-187||ECE: Children With Differing Abilities||3|
|307-192||ECE: Practicum 2||3|
|307-194||ECE: Math, Science and Social Studies||3|
|307-195||ECE: Family and Community Relationships||3|
|Total Program Credits and Institutional Requirements||39|
** The credits for 103-159 Computer Literacy-Microsoft Office and 890-101 College 101 are Institutional Requirements for graduation.
For additional information on program curriculum, prerequisites and general education course options, please contact your advisor.
Check out the Credit Transfers page for more information.
*Enrollment may limit the campus availability or delivery of certain courses.
Note: Students must purchase a smock for this program.
For co-curricular activities and opportunities related to this program/certificate, click here.