Moraine Park Technical College is committed to community engagement and student success. The College supports these commitments through the opportunity for students to participate in service learning and apply their classroom knowledge to an applicable, real world environment.
Service-Learning combines community service with classroom instruction. While this kind of experiential learning includes volunteer activity, the focus is on the application of classroom learning to the activity. As students help their community as part of a course, and the community engagement:
- is integrated into and enhances the curriculum of the class.
- requires student reflection.
- addresses a community issue or problem.
- benefits both the student and the service agency.
- connects learning and assessment to the real world.
Service Learning Award
The Service Learning Award is an MPTC recognition program designed to acknowledge students who are committed to serving their community. Students who complete 25 to 100 hours of service learning during their time at MPTC will receive this award. All students who log their hours and share a reflection will receive on of the following MPTC Service Learning awards:
- Bronze Award for 25 hours of service
- Silver Award for 50 hours
- Gold Award for 100 hours of service
Students use NobleHour to record service learning experiences. See the NobleHour Student Guide to learn how to document service learning.
For more information about Service Learning at Moraine Park Technical College contact:
Experiential Learning Coordinator