On-Line Criminal Background Check
- Please review “Criminal Background Check FAQ’s” below.
- Go to https://portal.castlebranch.com/MX01/. Cost for the online Criminal Background check is $45.00. Select the Program you are enrolled in or applying for.
- Select “Place Order.”
- Click on “Please Select” and select the background check link for your program.
- Review order instructions for your selected program.
- Check “I have read this information” and “Click to Continue.”
- Review Background Check package information. Mark “I have read, understand and agree to the Terms and Conditions of Use.”
- Complete the required personal information.
- Username will be your email address; create password and click “Create Account.”
- Enter any previous addresses you may have had.
- Review “name” and “state” information for criminal and caregiver background checks. Select “Next.”
- Review order, if there is a mistake go back and fix or select “Next.”
- MPTC recommends that you do not pay the additional fee for expediting your results.
- Enter payment information – VISA/MC/Discover/Electronic Check/Monthly Installments*/Money Order or Gift Card. (*Please note: There is an additional transaction fee for paying in monthly installments.)
- Download the available State of Wisconsin Background Information Disclosure Form. Complete, sign, scan or take picture of the completed form and send back to Castle Branch for processing. Failure to complete the form may delay Moraine Park Admissions processing and acceptance.
- Once your background check is complete please download a .pdf copy for your records. You may be required to provide a copy at time of clinical/internship placement.
Please note: If Castle Branch finds a discrepancy, they may contact you via email for clarification. The criminal background check will not be completed until you have provided the requested information.
Criminal background checks with a discrepancy will be reviewed for acceptance by the program Dean and clinical agencies. The review process can take 4 to 6 weeks to complete. The student will be notified of either acceptance or denial into their program of choice after the decision has been made. All clinical agency decisions are final.
Please direct all questions to email@example.com.
Criminal Background Check FAQ’s
Please note: When completing the electronic or paper copy of the State of Wisconsin Background Disclosure, failure to disclose or list any convictions can result in forfeiture or other sanctions by the State of Wisconsin.
On the background disclosure form you are asked if you have had any pending criminal charges or convictions which may include federal, state, local or municipal laws or statute violations (which also includes convictions as a minor). Non-disclosure of a crime may result in an automatic denial by healthcare/human services clinical sites. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and assistance if you are uncertain how to respond to the crime disclosure question.
Students currently in confined custody or on probation:
- Will not be allowed to enter into any MPTC program or standalone course that requires a Criminal Background Check for admission per our clinical/human services sites.
Students with felony convictions will not be allowed to enter the following programs:
- Criminal Justice Corrections
- EMT – Paramedic or Paramedic Programs
Healthcare & Human Service Programs – Partial listing of offenses that may result in program denial:
- Students with felony convictions who wish to complete a healthcare program.
- Students with theft convictions (including tickets for retail theft and worthless checks tickets) may be denied if the convictions are five years old or newer.
- Students with two or more misdemeanor convictions that are 15 years old or newer may be denied.
- Students with Disorderly Conduct – Battery or Domestic Abuse misdemeanor convictions may be denied depending on the age of the conviction.
- Students who do not disclose underage drinking convictions and or DUI/OWI convictions, as well as driving after revocation and suspension convictions (including traffic or non-traffic tickets) may be denied. Please note that we have had students denied clinical placement for these types of convictions.
All clinical decisions are final and are made by the healthcare/human service facilities, not by Moraine Park Technical College. Thus, there is no appeal process for the denial of a criminal background check.
Students with positive criminal background check findings that are approved for program admission and clinical placement may not have guaranteed participation in Board or credentialing examining through external entities or future employment. Please contact the appropriate State of Wisconsin board of credentialing and examination for your specific program.