Vehicle Repair FAQs & Schedule
- What vehicles are accepted?
- Most makes and models of cars and light duty trucks, 15 years old or newer are acceptable
- For 2014-2015 school year, vehicle has to be a 2000 or newer
- The work has to apply to classroom instruction
- MPTC reserves the right not to accept a vehicle
- Whose vehicles are accepted?
- Student, staff and general public vehicles
- There is no formal advertising so as not to disrupt the automotive service repair businesses in the area
- When do we do work in lab?
- Monday – Thursday, 7:30 a.m.–5 p.m., and some evenings, no repair work is done Friday-Sunday
- Closed during winter break, spring break, and summer
- See the schedule of specific repairs below
- What will it cost to have my vehicle worked on?
- $10 shop fee for shop supplies and hazard waste for all vehicles
- Parts and materials
- No charge for labor, although donations to the Moraine Park Auto Club are appreciated. (See student for more information.)
- All vehicle repairs must be paid for in full before the vehicle can leave the premises.
- Vehicles with major repairs, such as engine and transmission repairs, will require payment on high cost part(s) prior to repairs being performed.
- Where do you purchase parts; and am I allowed to furnish my own parts?
- It is a school policy that all parts are purchased through Moraine Park's Parts Store.
- MPTC uses a combination of new car dealers and aftermarket sources (i.e., NAPA , CARQUEST, Anders, United Parts Plus, etc.) for parts.
- Prices charged are near equivalent to retail prices.
- Students, under the advisement of the instructor, will determine what parts are to be replaced and where the parts are to be obtained from.
- How are vehicle repairs scheduled, and is there a promise time when vehicles will be done?
- You must submit a vehicle repair request form, found at the bottom of this page. Once your request is submitted you will get an automatic reply confirming your submission following a reply from an instructor once an instructor has verified that your request meets our criteria for a given course. The instructor will then add your request onto a customer work list.
- The students use the customer work list to schedule the work they need to get done for their course. The student will call you to schedule your needed repairs and will continue to communicate with you as they are working on your vehicle until repairs are completed. Remember you will be communicating with students who are learning this process. If you have concerns, try to contact the appropriate instructor. See the schedule below.
- There is no promised time of completion.
- Please be prepared to leave the vehicle for a prolonged period of time as students generally work in the lab 4 hours a day.
- Is there a guarantee or warranty on the work?
- There is no guarantee or warranty expressed or implied on repairs or parts.
- Will I receive an estimate?
- Students always prepare estimates based on what is necessary to repair the vehicle to industry standards.
- An agreed-upon dollar amount can be discussed with the student before repairs begin. This sometimes works best to expedite repairs.
- If there is a need to exceed the amount agreed upon, the vehicle owner or responsible party will be contacted before proceeding with further repairs.
- Can I have aftermarket accessories installed?
- No. MPTC does not install non-factory equipment such as remote starters, keyless entry, alarm systems, or work on other types of equipment.
- Do we do body repairs or work on motorcycles, boats, forklifts, lawn tractors, etc.?
- No. MPTC only works on automobiles and light-duty trucks, and only repairs original equipment.
- How can I contact the instructors?
Please do not call or e-mail instructors for car advice; call for repair requests only.
Vehicle Repair Schedule
|Monday-Thursday Morning Lab Repairs (2nd Year Students)||When||Instructor|
|Air conditioning, lack of heat concerns, blower fan, compressor, evaporator, condenser, heater core, etc.||August thru Mid-Sept||Corrente/Schwanz|
|Engine repairs, oil leaks, coolant leaks, engine noises, engine replacement, head gasket, timing belt, etc.||Mid Sept/October||Schwanz/Corrente|
|Engine performance concerns, Check Engine light on, engine runs rough, misfires, stalls, doesn’t start, fuel tank, fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel injector cleaning, exhaust repairs, etc.||November/December||Corrente/Schwanz|
|Any and all work that students have prior training, call the 2nd year students in the lab for details. Work done on Monday evenings only.||August thru December||Daniels/Schwanz|
|Automatic transmission diagnosis, service, repair, or replacement||January to March||Daniels/Schwanz|
|Anti-lock brakes, traction control, air suspension, automatic suspension systems, stability control system, etc.||January to March||Schwanz/Daniels|
|Clutches, manual transmission, drive axle service, CV joints/boots, u-joints, axle/differential repair, 4WD, wheel bearings, etc.||March thru May||Schwanz/Daniels|
|Diesel drivability concerns and maintenance, hybrid vehicle concerns||March thru May||Daniels/Schwanz|
|Any and all work that students have prior training, call the 2nd year students in the lab for details. Work done on Monday afternoon only.||January thru May||Daniels/Schwanz|
|Monday Evening/Tuesday-Thursday Afternoon Lab Repairs (1st Year Students)||When||Instructor|
|Oil changes, tire service, replace external light bulbs, wiper blades, transmission fluids service, etc.||August thru Mid-Sept||Moy/Daniels|
|Brakes and wheel bearings (does not include antilock brakes)||Mid Sept/October||Daniels/Moy|
|Alignment, struts, tie rods, ball joints, shocks, power steering, steering racks, steering column, tires, wheel bearings, etc.||November/December||Daniels/Moy|
|Battery, starter, alternator, inside/outside lights, gauges, power lock, windows, mirrors, and seats, window defogger, air bags, factory anti-theft systems, cruise control, etc.||January thru March||Moy/Corrente|
|Coolant flush, water pump, thermostat, radiator, hoses, serpentine belt, engine mechanical testing, Check Engine light, engine tune-up, spark plugs, plug wires, ignition coils, etc.||March thru May||Corrente/Moy|
|Brakes, steering & suspension, wheel alignment, oil changes, trans service. Work done on Thursday evenings only.||January thru May||Corrente/Moy|