Moraine Park is helping to combat the skilled worker shortage in the health careers field by offering an accelerated Medical Assistant (MA) program at our West Bend Campus. This will be a day time cohort on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday beginning October, 2015 with a second cohort in October of 2016. The College is using the U.S. Department of Labor TAACCCT 4 Grant to provide specific training necessary to create job opportunities with collaborating area healthcare partners and give students the opportunity to take the first step on the pathway toward a career in healthcare.
Criteria for success:
- Earning a C or better in all coursework
- Mandatory Attendance
- Eligible to sit for Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) exam offered by the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA) and/or the Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) exam by the American Medical Technologists (AMT)
Medical Assistant Technical Diploma 31-509-1
The Medical Assistant program prepares students to assist the doctor in a variety of clinical tasks. Students develop the skills to take medical histories, record vital signs, prepare patients for examination, collect and prepare laboratory specimens, perform basic laboratory tests, draw blood, and instruct patients about medications or special diets.
As graduates, these clinical tasks are performed under the supervision of a physician and vary according to state law. Medical assistants may also perform administrative tasks such as billing and insurance, greeting patients on the phone or in person, handling correspondence, scheduling appointments and updating patient charts. The medical assistant profession is one of the fastest growing occupations.
Medical Assistant 35 credits
|501-107||Introduction to Healthcare Computing|
|509-101||Medical Assistant Administrative Procedures|
|509-102||Human Body in Health and Disease|
|509-303||Medical Assistant Laboratory Procedures 1|
|509-304||Medical Assistant Clinical Procedures 1|
|501-108||Pharmacology for Allied Health|
|509-107||Medical Office Insurance and Finance|
|509-109||Medical Law, Ethics and Professionalism|
|509-305||Medical Assistant Laboratory Procedures 2|
|509-306||Medical Assistant Clinical Procedures 2|
|801-136||English Composition 1|
- Perform medical office administrative functions
- Provide patient care in accordance with regulations, policies, laws and patient rights
- Perform medical laboratory procedures
- Demonstrate professionalism in a health care setting
- Demonstrate safety and emergency practices in a health care setting
There is no charge for tuition. However, varying course, supply, background check, health requirement and exam fees apply.
Program process includes:
- Information session
- High school and other official college transcripts
- College assessment test
- Complete background check
- Health requirements
- Orientation session
- Opportunities for student success and career pathway support
The U.S. Department of Labor gives priority selection in order to veterans, TAA eligible participants, all other adults. Adults must be age 18 and above.