REQUEST PROGRAM INFORMATION
Program Number: 10-530-1
School Year: 2017-2018
Associate of Applied Science Degree
Campus: Online, (clinicals required)
This field is where health care meets the cutting edge of technology! Health information technicians are specialists in great demand! The HIM professionals can expect to be in high demand as the health sector expands. In fact, the Bureau of Labor Statistics cites health information technology as one of the fastest growing occupations in the U.S. Health information technicians contribute to the quality of care by collecting, analyzing, and reporting health care data. This requires knowledge of disease, treatments, computer systems and organizational skills.
This program can be completed on a full-time or part-time basis. All core program classes are offered online.
Graduates are in great demand by hospitals, clinics, nursing homes, insurance companies, medical research organizations and government agencies.
The Health Information Technology program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM) http://cahiim.org. Graduates are eligible to take the national certification exam offered by the American Health Information Management Association to become Registered Health Information Technicians (RHIT).
Moraine Park's Health Information Technology graduates have exceeded the national pass rate on the RHIT exam for over 25 years. In addition, 100% of program students have received a favorable rating on the professional practice site supervisor evaluation in the five technical domains and employability (core abilities) skills.
Job shadowing in this field is recommended prior to application. For more information about this career: www.ahima.org/careers.
Statewide Median Salary for Recent Graduates
- $132.20 per credit (resident)
- $198.30 per credit (out-of-state resident)
- Online students are not charged out-of-state fees.
- Please refer to the MPTC Student Handbook for additional enrollment fee information.
- Apply coding and reimbursement systems.
- Model professional behavior and ethics.
- Apply organizational management techniques.
- Apply data governance principles to ensure the quality of health data.
- Apply informatics and analytics in data use.
- Coding Specialist
- Release of Information Specialist
- Health Information Technician
- Reimbursement Coordinator
- Data Quality and Integrity Monitor
- Data Security, Privacy and Confidentiality Manager
- Health Data Analyst
- Enterprise Content Information Manager
Applications are currently being accepted.
- Submit the college admission application.
- Submit the $30 one-time fee.
- Submit high school and other official college transcripts.
- Take the college assessment test (ACCUPLACER, ACT or other). The ACCUPLACER assessment can be taken at MPTC.
- Attend a program orientation with your advisor.
- Health Requirements need to be met and a Criminal Background Check is required.
Please visit the Admissions page for general information.
|501-107||Digital Literacy for Healthcare||2|
|530-162||Foundations of HIM||3|
|801-136||English Composition 1||3|
|530-178||Healthcare Law and Ethics||2|
|530-182||Human Diseases for the Health Professions||3|
|530-197||ICD Diagnosis Coding||3|
|530-163||Healthcare Stats and Analytics||3|
|530-164||Introduction to Health Informatics||3|
|530-199||ICD Procedure Coding||2|
|809-1xx||Behavioral Science Course||3|
|809-1xx||Social Science Course||3|
|530-161||Health Quality Management||3|
|530-167||Management of HIM Resources||3|
|809-1xx||Social Science Course||3|
|Total Program Credits and Institutional Requirements||62|
General Education Options
** The credits for 890-101 College 101 are Institutional Requirements for graduation.
Current students, please see your Advisor for your academic planner.
Check out the Credit Transfers page for more information.
*Enrollment may limit the campus availability or delivery of certain courses.
An Internship is the exit assessment graduation requirement for the program.
For co-curricular activities and opportunities related to this program/certificate, click here.