REQUEST PROGRAM INFORMATION
Program Number: 10-550-1
School Year: 2017-2018
Associate of Applied Science Degree
Campus: Fond du Lac
Moraine Park’s AODA associate of applied science degree provides the foundational knowledge, skills and practical experience to prepare students to counsel and treat clients with substance use disorders. The program meets all educational requirements for counselor certification and prepares them for counselor certification examination. Upon completion of the associate degree in AODA, students are awarded 500 hours for being an approved program and an additional 468 hours of clinical experience for a total of 968 hours towards the required 4,000 hours of clinical experience needed for counselor certification as a Substance Abuse Counselor with the Department of Safety and Professional Services of the State of Wisconsin.
Graduates find employment as alcohol and other drug abuse associates/counselors. The associate of applied science degree meets the educational requirements for certification with the Department of Safety and Professional Services of the State of Wisconsin. Individuals in this AODA profession work with clients and their families to develop new lifestyles and coping methods for resolving personal conflicts without turning to alcohol and drugs for solutions.
Listening, negotiating, planning, writing and counseling skills and the ability to assist others are important personal attributes of AODA professionals.
Statewide Median Salary for Recent Graduates
- $132.20 per credit (resident)
- $198.30 per credit (out-of-state resident)
- Online students are not charged out-of-state fees.
- Please refer to the MPTC Student Handbook for additional enrollment fee information.
- Critically evaluate for substance use disorders and treatment needs.
- Develop treatment plans.
- Facilitate referral to meet needs.
- Demonstrate service coordination skills.
- Demonstrate counseling skills with individuals, groups and families.
- Provide education relevant to substance use.
- Maintain clinical records according to agency, federal and state guidelines.
- Adhere to accepted culturally competent, ethical and behavioral conduct.
- Substance Abuse Counselor (in training)
- House Manager CBRF
- Project Coordinator/County AODA Council
- AODA Intake Worker
- Crisis Worker
- Relief Worker
- Counselor Aide
- Human Service Worker
- Case Manager
- Submit the college admission application.
- Submit the $30 one-time fee.
- Submit high school and other official college transcripts.
- Take the college assessment test (ACCUPLACER, ACT or other). The ACCUPLACER assessment can be taken at MPTC.
- Attend a program orientation with your advisor.
- Health Requirements need to be met and a Criminal Background Check is required.
Please visit the Admissions page for general information.
|103-159||**Computer Literacy - Microsoft Office||1|
|550-106||Physiological Complications and Psychopharmacology||3|
|550-112||Client Rights, Confidentiality and Ethics||3|
|550-125||Counseling Skills and Practice||3|
|801-136||English Composition 1||3|
|809-198||Introduction to Psychology||3|
|550-121||Introduction to Substance Abuse Treatment||4|
|550-140||Counseling Theory and Practice||3|
|550-142||Introduction to Community Mental Health||3|
|550-135||Diversity in Counseling||3|
|550-160||On-Campus Talk About Alcohol||1|
|- OR -|
|809-1xx||Behavioral Science Course||3|
|550-155||AODA Internship Seminar||3|
|550-156||Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse Internship 1||4|
|550-157||Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse Internship 2||4|
|809-1xx||Social Science Course||3|
|Total Program Credits and Institutional Requirements||66|
General Education Options
** The credits for 103-159 Computer Literacy-Microsoft Office and 890-101 College 101 are Institutional Requirements for graduation.
Current students, please see your Advisor for your academic planner.
Check out the Credit Transfers page for more information.
*Enrollment may limit the campus availability or delivery of certain courses.
For co-curricular activities and opportunities related to this program/certificate, click here.