Program Number: 10-601-1
School Year: 2017-2018
Associate of Applied Science Degree
Campus: West Bend
Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration (HVAC/R) jobs are expected to see higher than average growth for the foreseeable future according to the U.S. Department of Labor. This high job growth creates a need for intensive vocational training in HVAC/R programs, leading students to become skilled technicians in their field.
Moraine Park Technical College (MPTC) offers an associate of applied science degree program where students learn the principles of air conditioning and heating service and installation, and design of heating and air conditioning systems. This program includes hands-on training in commercial refrigeration, supermarket applications of refrigeration, hot water/steam heating, geothermal heating and air conditioning, building controls, fundamentals of electricity, electric motors and controls, and studies in the movement of air specific to HVAC/R applications. In 2014, a laboratory and simulated construction environment was completed, giving HVAC/R students a state-of-the-art learning experience.
MPTC also offers training in building automation systems (BAS) and energy management to meet the energy needs of current buildings. BAS is a technology driven component of modern HVAC/R systems where the technician must utilize their training in HVAC/R system operation to program local and web-based control systems. BAS is the fastest growing segment within HVAC/R jobs.
Statewide Median Salary for Recent Graduates
- $130.35 per credit (resident)
- $195.53 per credit (out-of-state resident)
- Online students are not charged out-of-state fees.
- Fees shown are 2016-2017 fees; 2017-2018 fees will be available as soon as they are approved.
- Install residential heating, ventilation and air conditioning equipment.
- Commission (start up) and service residential heating, ventilation and air conditioning equipment.
- Install commercial heating, ventilation and air conditioning equipment.
- Commission (start up) and service commercial heating, ventilation and air conditioning equipment.
- Install commercial refrigeration equipment.
- Commission (start up) and service commercial refrigeration equipment.
- Air-Balancing Technician
- Service Representative
- Building Automation Specialist
- Commercial Refrigeration Technician
- Computer/Web Based Controls (BAS)
- Facilities Maintenance Technician
- Employment at an entry level includes: Testing and Balancing of Air and Water Movement; Installation; Energy Auditing; Sales
- Submit the college admission application.
- Submit the $30 one-time fee.
- Submit high school and other official college transcripts.
- Take the college assessment test (ACCUPLACER, ACT or other). The ACCUPLACER assessment can be taken at MPTC.
- Attend a program orientation with your advisor.
Please visit the Admissions page for general information.
|601-107||Electricity and Electronics HVAC||3|
|601-108||Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) Schematics||2|
|601-120||Fundamentals of Refrigeration||2|
|601-121||Refrigeration Service Techniques||2|
|103-159||**Computer Literacy - Microsoft Office||1|
|601-122||Residential Air Conditioning||3|
|601-123||Residential Heating Systems||3|
|601-134||Commercial Heating and Air Conditioning||4|
|801-136||English Composition 1||3|
|601-116||Hydronic Environmental Systems||3|
|601-127||Fundamentals of Building Controls||2|
|601-129||Commercial Food Service Refrigeration||3|
|806-122||Natural Sciences in Society||3|
|809-1xx||Social Science Course||3|
|601-119||Geothermal Heat Pumps||2|
|601-128||Building Control Systems Applications||3|
|809-1xx||Social Science Course||3|
|809-199||Psychology of Human Relations||3|
|Total Program Credits and Institutional Requirements||65|
General Education Options
** The credits for 103-159 Computer Literacy-Microsoft Office and 890-101 College 101 are Institutional Requirements for graduation.
- Air Conditioning, Heating and Refrigeration Technology, 2017-2018
- Air Conditioning, Heating and Refrigeration Technology, 2016-2017
- Air Conditioning, Heating and Refrigeration Technology, 2015-2016
Check out the Credit Transfers page for more information.
*Enrollment may limit the campus availability or delivery of certain courses.
For co-curricular activities and opportunities related to this program/certificate, click here.