Program Number: 31-509-1
School Year: 2014-2015
Technical Diploma (1 year)
Campus: Beaver Dam, Fond du Lac
Moraine Park’s Medical Assistant program prepares students to assist the doctor in a variety of clinical tasks. Students develop the skills to take medical histories, record vital signs, prepare patients for examination, collect and prepare laboratory specimens, perform basic laboratory tests, draw blood and instruct patients about medications or special diets. As graduates, these clinical tasks are performed under the supervision of a physician and vary according to state law.
Medical assistants may also perform administrative tasks such as billing and insurance, greeting patients on the phone and in person, handling correspondence, scheduling appointments and updating patient charts. The medical assistant profession is one of the fastest growing occupations.
Graduates of the Medical Assistant program are eligible to write the Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) exam offered by the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA) and/or the Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) exam by the American Medical Technologists (AMT).
The Medical Assistant program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs upon the recommendation of the Curriculum Review Board of the American Association of Medical Assistants Endowment (CRB-AAMAE), CAAHEP, 1361 Park Street, Clearwater, FL, 727-210-2350.
Statewide Salary Range for Recent Graduates
- $122.20 per credit (resident)
- $183.30 per credit (out-of-state resident)
- *Online students are not charged out-of-state fees.
- *Fees shown are 2013-2014 fees; 2014-2015 fees will be available as soon as they are approved.
- Perform medical office administrative functions.
- Provide patient care in accordance with regulations, policies, laws and patient rights.
- Perform medical laboratory procedures.
- Demonstrate professionalism in a healthcare setting.
- Demonstrate safety and emergency practices in a healthcare setting.
- Medical Assistant
- Referral Specialist/Scheduler
- Lab Assistant
- Health Information Associate
- Patient Care Technician
- Patient Services Assistant
- Business Office Specialist
- Submit the college admission application.
- Submit the $30 one-time fee.
- Submit high school and other official college transcripts.
- Take the college assessment test (ACCUPLACER, ACT or other). The ACCUPLACER assessment can be taken at MPTC.
- Meet with Academic Advisor to discuss order of courses and prerequisites (required for this program).
- Health Requirements need to be met and a Criminal Background Check is required.
- Check with Admissions if any additional steps are required.
Please visit the Admissions page for general information.
The information below is provided as a federal requirement in an effort to help students make informed educational decisions. Specifically, Gainful Employment aims to provide information related to future potential debt burden in comparison to the expected earnings in a chosen program or field.
|501-107||Introduction to Healthcare Computing||2|
|509-301||Medical Assistant Administrative Procedures||2|
|509-302||Human Body in Health and Disease||3|
|509-303||Medical Assistant Laboratory Procedures 1||2|
|509-304||Medical Assistant Clinical Procedures 1||4|
|501-108||Pharmacology for Allied Health||2|
|509-305||Medical Assistant Laboratory Procedures 2||2|
|509-306||Medical Assistant Clinical Procedures 2||3|
|509-307||Medical Office Insurance and Finance||2|
|509-309||Medical Law, Ethics and Professionalism||2|
|509-310||Medical Assistant Practicum||3|
|801-136||English Composition 1||3|
|Total Program Credits and Institutional Requirements||35|
Medical Assistant Clinical Procedures 2 (509-306) is the exit assessment graduation requirement for the program.
** The credits for 890-101 College 101 are Institutional Requirements for graduation. Consequently, they are not part of the program credit requirements.
Additional Program Requirements
Medical Assistant Practicum (509-310) must be taken the last semester before graduation. Students will need to complete Basic Math Proficiency.
Check out the Credit Transfers page for more information.