Health Information Technology
Program Number: 10-530-1
School Year: 2014-2015
Associate of Applied Science Degree
Campus: Online, (Clinicals required)
This field is where health care meets the cutting edge of technology! Health information technicians are specialists in great demand! The HIM professionals can expect to be in high demand as the health sector expands in the century. In fact, the Bureau of Labor Statistics cites health information technology as one of the fastest growing occupations in the U.S. Health information technicians contribute to the quality of care by collecting, analyzing, and reporting health care data. This requires knowledge of disease, treatments, computer systems and organizational skills.
This program can be completed on a full-time or part-time basis. All core program classes are offered online.
Graduates are in great demand by hospitals, clinics, nursing homes, insurance companies, medical research organizations and government agencies.
The Health Information Technology program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM) http://cahiim.org. Graduates are eligible to take the national certification exam offered by the American Health Information Management Association to become Registered Health Information Technicians (RHIT).
Moraine Park's Health Information Technology graduates have exceeded the national pass rate on the RHIT exam for over 25 years.
Job shadowing in this field is recommended prior to application. For more information about this career: www.ahima.org/careers/intro.cfm.
Statewide Salary Range for Recent Graduates
- $122.20 per credit (resident)
- $183.30 per credit (out-of-state resident)
- *Online students are not charged out-of-state fees.
- *Fees shown are 2013-2014 fees; 2014-2015 fees will be available as soon as they are approved.
- Manage health data.
- Apply coding and reimbursement systems.
- Maintain electronic applications to manage health information.
- Apply organizational management techniques.
- Model professional behavior and ethics.
- Coding Specialist
- Release of Information Specialist
- Health Information Technician
- Reimbursement Coordinator
- Data Quality and Integrity Monitor
- Data Security, Privacy and Confidentiality Manager
- Health Data Analyst
- Enterprise Content Information Manager
Applications are currently being accepted.
- Submit the college admission application.
- Submit the $30 one-time fee.
- Submit high school and other official college transcripts.
- Take the college assessment test (ACCUPLACER, ACT or other). The ACCUPLACER assessment can be taken at MPTC.
- Meet with Academic Advisor to discuss order of courses and prerequisites (required for this program).
- Health Requirements need to be met and a Criminal Background Check is required.
- Check with Admissions if any additional steps are required.
Please visit the Admissions page for general information.
|501-107||Introduction to Healthcare Computing||2|
|530-176||Health Data Management||2|
|530-181||Introduction to the Health Record||1|
|801-136||English Composition 1||3|
|- OR -|
|806-177||General Anatomy and Physiology||4|
|530-177||Healthcare Stats and Research||2|
|530-178||Healthcare Law and Ethics||2|
|530-182||Human Diseases for the Health Professions||3|
|801-196||Oral and Interpersonal Communication||3|
|- OR -|
|809-198||Introduction to Psychology||3|
|- OR -|
|809-199||Psychology of Human Relations||3|
|530-161||Health Quality Management||3|
|530-196||Professional Practice 1||3|
|530-197||ICD Diagnosis Coding||3|
|809-196||Introduction to Sociology||3|
|530-194||HIM Organizational Resources||2|
|530-198||Professional Practice 2||3|
|530-199||ICD Procedure Coding||2|
|809-166||Introduction to Ethics: Theory and Application||3|
|Total Program Credits and Institutional Requirements||67|
An Internship is the exit assessment graduation requirement for the program.
** The credits for 890-101 College 101 are Institutional Requirements for graduation. Consequently, they are not part of the program credit requirements.
Check out the Credit Transfers page for more information.