Emergency Medical Technician - Paramedic
Moraine Park Technical College’s Emergency Medical Technician - Paramedic program prepares students to perform pre-hospital medical procedures. People’s lives often depend on the quick reaction and competent care of emergency medical technicians (EMTs) and paramedics. Paramedics with additional advanced training can perform more difficult and demanding pre-hospital medical procedures. Incidents as varied as automobile accidents, heart attacks, drowning, childbirth and gunshot wounds all require immediate, professional medical attention. As a paramedic, you will provide this vital attention as you care for and transport the sick or injured. Major topics to be covered include patient assessment, pharmacology, pediatrics, ambulance/system operations, trauma, respiratory emergencies and medical emergencies.
The program begins in August every year and requires full-time enrollment. There is not a part-time option for this program. Students must have a current Emergency Medical Technician license to enroll in the Emergency Medical Technician - Paramedic program.
Statewide Salary Range for Recent Graduates
- $122.20 per credit (resident)
- $183.30 per credit (out-of-state resident)
- *Online students are not charged out-of-state fees.
- Prepare for incident response and EMS Operations.
- Integrate pathophysiological principles and assessment findings to provide appropriate patient care.
- Demonstrate paramedic skills associated with established standards and procedures for a variety of patient encounters.
- Communicate effectively with others.
- Demonstrate professional behavior.
- Meet state and national competencies listed for paramedic credentialing.
- Private Ambulance Companies
- Municipal Fire Departments
- Flight Paramedic
- Critical Care Transport Paramedic
- Private Emergency Response Teams
- Hospital Emergency and Critical Care Departments
- Submit the college admission application.
- Submit the $30 one-time fee.
- Submit high school and other official college transcripts.
- Take the college assessment test (ACCUPLACER, ACT or other). The ACCUPLACER assessment can be taken at MPTC.
- Meet with Admissions to discuss order of courses and prerequisites (required for this program).
- Health Requirements need to be met and a Criminal Background Check is required.
- Check with Admissions if any additional steps are required.
Please visit the Admissions page for general information.
The information below is provided as a federal requirement in an effort to help students make informed educational decisions. Specifically, Gainful Employment aims to provide information related to future potential debt burden in comparison to the expected earnings in a chosen program or field.
|Placement rates in related field||0% (based on 0 responses)|
|On-time completion rate||0%|
|Median student loan debt||$0|
|Department of Labor National Job Classifications||
29-2041.00 Emergency Medical Technicians and Paramedics
|103-159||**Computer Literacy - Microsoft Office||1|
|531-912||Paramedic Medical Principles||4|
|531-913||Patient Assessment Principles||3|
|531-915||Paramedic Respiratory Management||2|
|531-917||Paramedic Clinical Field 1||3|
|531-919||Paramedic Medical Emergencies||4|
|531-921||Special Patient Populations||3|
|531-924||Paramedic Clinical Field 2||4|
|Total Program Credits and Institutional Requirements||41|
531-923 Paramedic Capstone is the exit assessment graduation requirement for the program.
** The credits for 103-159 Computer Literacy-Microsoft Office and 890-101 College 101 are Institutional Requirements for graduation. Consequently, they are not part of the program credit requirements.
Additional Program Requirements
Students will need to complete Basic Math Proficiency.
- Emergency Medical Technician - Paramedic, 2013-2014
- Emergency Medical Technician - Paramedic, 2012-2013
Check out the Credit Transfers page for more information.
After completion of this course you must complete the National Registry Exam process to be eligible to apply for an Emergency Medical Technician - Paramedic license with the State of Wisconsin.