Program Number: 10-106-1
School Year: 2013-2014
Associate of Applied Science Degree
Campus: Fond du Lac, Offered through Lakeshore Technical College
You’ve seen high-profile trials with a person keying the testimony into a stenograph machine or reading the scrolling captions for the hearing-impaired on your TV screen. The person recording the spoken words at speeds ranging from 180 to 225 words a minute is a court reporter. If you’re an excellent listener, enjoy keyboarding, have strong language and communications skills, and are committed to accuracy and confidentiality, a career in court reporting may be a perfect fit for you.
Statewide Salary Range for Recent Graduates
- $122.20 per credit (resident)
- $183.30 per credit (out-of-state resident)
- *Online students are not charged out-of-state fees.
- Develop proficiency in machine shorthand using realtime theory.
- Produce salable transcripts on a realtime translation system.
- Demonstrate knowledge of proper reporting procedures and responsibilities for freelance and official reporting.
- Demonstrate knowledge of legal and medical concepts and terminology.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the professional reporting organizations and methods of gaining certification as a Registered Professional Reporter.
- Develop a personal dictionary, read, translate, and edit transcripts using CAT (computer-aided transcription) software.
- Legislative Reporter
- Official Court Reporter in the Court System
- Freelance reporter
The admission process for a shared program should be completed at the host college granting the degree. Please submit the following to Lakeshore Technical College:
- College admission application
- $30 one-time fee
- High school and other official college transcripts
- College assessment test (ACCUPLACER, ACT or other). Note: The ACCUPLACER assessment can be taken at MPTC.
- Meet with a representative at the host college to review course sequencing.
- Check with the host college if any additional steps are required.
|801-136||English Composition 1||3|
|801-196||Oral and Interpersonal Communication||3|
|- OR -|
|809-122||Introduction to American Government||3|
|- OR -|
|809-172||Introduction to Diversity Studies||3|
|809-196||Introduction to Sociology||3|
|- OR -|
|- OR -|
|804-123||Math with Business Applications (LTC)||3|
|- OR -|
|806-112||Principles of Sustainability||3|
|809-198||Introduction to Psychology||3|
|106-104||Realtime Reporting 1 (LTC)||5|
|106-105||Realtime Reporting 2 (LTC)||5|
|106-108||Realtime Reporting Speed Development (LTC)||2|
|106-109||Literary 1 - Advanced (LTC)||2|
|106-111||Literary 2 - Advanced (LTC)||2|
|106-128||Jury Charge 1 - Advanced (LTC)||2|
|106-129||Jury Charge 2 - Advanced (LTC)||2|
|106-142||Judicial Reporting Procedures (LTC)||2|
|106-143||Judicial Reporting Internship (LTC)||1|
|106-144||Realtime Reporting Orientation (LTC)||1|
|106-156||Testimony 1 - Advanced (LTC)||3|
|106-157||Testimony 2 - Advanced (LTC)||3|
|106-158||Realtime Reporting Technology (LTC)||2|
|106-159||Legal Terminology (LTC)||1|
|106-171||Medical Reporting and Terminology (LTC)||2|
|106-184||English for Realtime Reporters (LTC)||1|
|106-804||Realtime Reporting 1 Lab (LTC)||1|
|106-805||Realtime Reporting 2 Lab (LTC)||1|
|106-809||Literary 1 Lab - Advanced (LTC)||1|
|106-811||Literary 2 Lab - Advanced (LTC)||1|
|106-828||Jury Charge 1 Lab - Advanced (LTC)||1|
|106-829||Jury Charge 2 Lab - Advanced (LTC)||1|
|106-857||Testimony 2 Lab - Advanced (LTC)||1|
|106-859||Testimony 1 Lab - Advanced (LTC)||1|
|Beginning Courses Required Prior to Advanced Courses|
|106-121||Jury Charge 1 - Beginner||2 crs.|
|106-826||Jury Charge 1 Lab - Beginner||2 crs.|
|106-122||Jury Charge 2 – Beginner||2 crs.|
|106-827||Jury Charge 2 Lab – Beginner||2 crs.|
|106-113||Literary 1 – Beginner||2 crs.|
|106-808||Literary 1 Lab – Beginner||2 crs.|
|106-114||Literary 2 – Beginner||2 crs.|
|106-810||Literary 2 Lab – Beginner||2 crs.|
|106-153||Testimony 1 – Beginner||2 crs.|
|106-858||Testimony 1 Lab - Beginner||2 crs.|
|106-154||Testimony 2 – Beginner||2 crs.|
|106-855||Testimony 2 Lab – Beginner||2 crs.|
|106-161||Realtime Reporting Technology Advanced||2 crs.|
Check out the Credit Transfers page for more information.